Monday, July 27, 2009

Hemp Milk Ice Cream

I've always enjoyed a little vanilla ice cream now and again... a good summertime treat. Of course all that changed when I found out I had a dairy and soy allergy. I went a good year or so before I started looking for a good dairy and soy alternative. Along the way I have found (and posted) about some of my favorites; Laloos Mission Fig Goat Milk Ice Cream (very tasty, but not cheap at $7+ a qrt), and then there was Coconut flavored Sorbet (not quite vanilla ice cream but very tasty non the less).

Just recently though I stumbled on Hemp Milk Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (by Living Harvest). It's marketed as a great dairy and soy alternative, as well as cholesterol free, gluten free, and vegan, and I couldn't agree more. This is a very tasty treat that not only is the perfect vanilla ice cream replacement, at $5 and change a qrt it's a little easier on the wallet as well.

As far as nutrition goes hemp seeds or nuts are a very nutritious and a complete food source, containing all the necessary amino acids and fatty acids (great source of omega-3) required for sustaining human life.

It also comes in Mint Chip, Coffee Biscotti, Chocolate Fudge, and Coconut Lime, for those who are looking for something a little more exotic than vanilla.

So enjoy this summertime treat (in moderation of course) and remember a food allergy does not have to be a prison sentence when it comes to healthy tasty menu choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AllergyFree Search Engine