Monday, July 20, 2009

A Food Allergy Reminder

Don't forget to discuss with your waiter or waitress your food allergies so they are aware of your situation. I bring this up because of an outing over the weekend at an Italian restaurant, which made the typical dairy allergy faux pas.

After going down the menu with the waiter, nixing those items that contained either soy or dairy, I settled on something that both sounded appealing as well as soy and dairy allergy safe; baked chicken breasts with roasted red peppers and potatoes topped with a balsamic vinaigrette. They use olive oil as most Italian restaurants do (not vegetable oil) and the vinaigrette was allergy safe as well.

When I received the meal I noticed that there were cooked carrots on the plate which was not listed on the menu; had it been I would have made sure they did not put butter on them. Well, they of course did and I of course (having experience at this) new this was the case (the waiter confirmed). Anyway, I enjoyed the rest of the meal, and sidestepped the carrots.

The moral of the story is, don't assume the menu lists all of the meals ingredients; be sure to ask questions. It's better to be safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AllergyFree Search Engine