Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Blessing In Disguise!

I honestly believe that, for me, my soy allergy is a blessing in disguise. My friends and family who on occasion have me over for a meal may disagree, but when it comes to your health thinking selfishly (what's best for you) is probably the smartest way to go. I stress "for me it's been a blessing" because thankfully I do not have the most severe of reactions (anaphylactic shock) to this allergy, but I do have many symptoms/reactions that I do not take lightly.

For years I was showing many signs (some subtle, others not) of a body under attack, but I never put all the pieces together. I would get swollen, red, itchy, painful knuckles on both hands and feet, to the point where if I didn't need them I would have cut them off long ago. I would get stubborn acne on my face and arms that the strongest of commercially marketed cleansers couldn't clear up. I would have heart palpitations, not to the point where I thought I was having a heart attack, but enough that I knew something wasn't right. All were warning flares being shot off by an immune system in a sinking ship of a body, and somehow I wasn't seeing the light. That is until I had myself tested for allergies, and soy was one of the culprits.

It was tough at first. There's so much out there telling you what to avoid, but not much in the way of how to cope. I am proof though that it is possible to live soy free, with emphasis on LIVE. I don't miss my old life style, as healthy as I thought it was, not for a second! Since I've cut all processed, prepackaged meals out of my diet I've watched all annoying symptoms of this allergy disappear. I can assure you that if you're ready, willing, and creative, then you will see it's not so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AllergyFree Search Engine